Saturday, March 10, 2012

Week 9: We Did It! :-) and :-(

So, the Project Report is done. The feeling of achievement is present, which means that the job was done well. Today two more students have joined my Reflective Learning Project, and two students, who have not reported progress yet said that they are doing the exercises recommended, which means that the Project was not only for the Report - it is working and it is needed.
However, the submission of the report was accompanied with a feeling of frustration. "0 Days Left" on our wiki was causing embarrassment and the feeling that something was going wrong. I am happy that today it's again a number with quantity, and it will keep growing to infinity, as, I hope our friendship.

This week was marked with Report Writing. Having written what I believed was a fairly good draft, I though I would be able to complete and submit it on March 8. However,  the process of polishing took three times more time than I planned... 

 I hate perfectionism. It kills time, it leaves you with the feeling of dissatisfaction. Still, I couldn't stop. I was reading and editing, reading and editing, reading and editing until the last hour before the deadline. And only when there was no time left, the pieces of the jig-saw puzzle fit and the picture became visible (I hope).
The background thought in the process of editing was, "Why, why, why it is impossible to say what you want to say? How, how, how do others manage to paint a picture with a few strokes of words?" It's a sickening feeling, you know, it won't let you live in peace.
However, the torture of writing ended, the report went online, and now there is EMPTINESS. Yes, I know that the course has not finished yet, that there is one week ahead, and a WebQuest I planned to compose, and the discussion on Nicenet is going on. But...

It's very sad.  I know that I will be missing my tutors Jodi and Sherie, my friends, my daily tasks, my daily surprised and Wow!s at discovering new tools and resources. I am really grateful to my reading partners Hassan and Kouassi for their valuable comments on my first draft and to Hassan for his support in the process of editing the Final Report. His expanded comments and crucial questions allowed me to see the gaps and to better understand the structure of both the Project and the Report.

A log of unfulfilled other tasks is waiting for me, which means that my life won't be as in the process of doing this course. Life goes on and we can't get stuck. The challenge now will be to apply everything we've learned to improve our teaching, decrease our workload, make our students happier and better prepared to live in the information society. I will keep this blog and will inform all my friend of what is being done, and I will keep reading my friends' blogs too.



9 comments:

  1. Finally Val, we did it!

    I took a tremendous amount of time to complete it too and upon submission we always feel that there's more to add.
    Nonetheless, the deadline has to be met.
    Like you, I'll keep my blog alive too.

    Cheers to a great friendship for now and til the future.
    xx
    Nur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nur,

      I replied to you first. It's strange that my reply disappeared.

      I'll repeat: Cheers to friendship. I am happy to be in touch with you.

      Val

      Delete
    2. Oh, really. There must be a technical error or something like that.
      Nvm, you can post again some other time..
      :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Val,
    Your description of the experience was so true that I felt I'm engaged in every step you went through.
    I'm glad that you'll keep this blog so that we can keep on communicating later on.
    I agree with you, Val, that time restrictions in this course cause some frustration especially that you want to revise the work and improve it until it becomes satisfactory, but not "perfect".
    Wishing you the best of luck in your life.
    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Nihmat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nihmat,

      I smiled when I was reading the first line in your comment. Being quite egocentric, I though I was the only one suffering the pressure (a joke).

      At the moment I am considering the format for our future interaction. Some participants have opened sites, blogs and nicenets. I'm afraid this will disperse us and will make it difficult to follow the important developments.

      We need one common platform, as our course site used to be, don't we? Any ideas?

      Enjoy the weekend,

      Val

      Delete
  3. Val,

    You've done it, and you've done it well!

    Forget about 'perfection', you've delivered a great project and collected a handful of learning in the process, something to last for ever, something to be really proud of!

    Celebration is highly due. Go find your loved ones, announce your achievement and stand proud.

    It was a great pleasure to partner with you, both as a teacher and a learner.

    I will sure come visit you here and check on your latest successes. In return, I invite you all to pay a visit to by blog from time to time and make sure I keep it beating!

    All the best,

    Hassan, Lebanon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hassan,

      It's nice to hear from you.

      I agree about celebration. I was thinking about a virtual party, all together. Maybe, not with video, since is imposes some restrictions, but something like in Skype. What do you think?

      By the way, today I have been saving the resources pages and checking what I skipped/missed before. I visited your site from Week 8. Looking at the dates, I noticed that you have been running it since 2009 (is that right?). How effective has it been? Do students really use it?
      I am asking this question because I have just started a new corporate course, and I am considering opening the site for them. Do you think my time will worth it, if the class sits in the same building? What do your students say about the use of the site.

      Enjoy your weekend,

      Val

      Delete
  4. Dear Val,

    We all met, we all worked and we all DID it!

    It has been a pleasure to read your posts and discussions. We have had a great symbiotic session.

    Hope we can still be in touch and learn/share our experiences even in future!

    Wishing you all the very BEST,
    Vijay :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Vijay,

      I can only return your words: I greatly enjoyed reading your posts and interacting with you.
      You've demonstrated an outstanding research and writing skills as well as competence in IT for EFL.
      I have learned a lot from you.

      We will surely carry on.

      Good luck,

      Val

      Delete