Sunday, February 26, 2012

Another Idea of a Lesson


Having posted my reflections, I can't help sharing another idea with you. It  relates not to this week’s task but to developing grammar and speaking skills, but still...

As I was busy yesterday writing my tasks and some other papers, I didn’t have much time to prepare for my today’s Club. So, I decided to use the links I had saved to download a ready-to-use printable worksheet. It took me more time than in case I would be writing my own ;-), but, eventually I found something acceptable – a multi-purpose board game with verbs

As my young learners are studying Past Simple, I asked them to use the verbs on the board in the Past Simple to make a story. Before getting started with the game, each participant chose a character and introduced it to the group. Then, moving around the board, they had to use the verbs to add the next sentence to their story. The verbs often conflicted with the initial idea of the authors, so they had to change the plot several times and  eventually produced funny dynamic stories. 

For example, one girl wanted to tell a story about Cinderella, but she had the verbs: to go, to leave and to finish. Her story was like this: 
 "Cinderella went to the beach. She went for a swim and left her bag on the sun bed. Somebody took her bag. When she finished her swim, she was very sad."

My observation is that often students can’t make a story, because they lack ideas. This board game provided them with verbs, so they were able to generate ideas. The kids liked it so much that we decided to repeat it next Sunday.

I think this activity can be used with all ages at the basic and pre-intermediate levels. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment