Sunday, February 19, 2012

Week 6: The Project


The Launch of the  Reflective Learning Project
I have announced the new Reflective Learning Project in two groups of full-time students (the total of 23 students).

I would like to remind our group that I meant my Reflective Learning Project to be an open teaching  experience, and I invite everybody to join, if you wish to try it out. Please, let me know who is willing and I will help you with the registration.

I have also sent a newsletter to the participants of the On-Line Writing Project (all who are registered at the web-site). Some on the on-line participants have visited the site to have a look at the project, but have not posted anything there.

The Reaction of My Students

Some of my full-time students welcomed the idea, others remained indifferent or skeptical.

At the moment, I have 8 students registered on the site. Four of them have written about their learning process and asked questions. The most enthusiastic one has asked 5 questions.

I have posted learning tips on reading, listening, writing, articles, conditionals.
The posts can be seen here.
http://www.writespeakenglish.com/ICANclub//index.php?action=recent;start=0

In face-to-face communication, the participating students said that they liked the idea and find it exciting to write for the Internet and get replies online.

However, 4 participating students is not the 25 per cent I targeted. Actually, I would like to engage more than 25 per cent. The reason for my goal to be that modest is that at the university we have got standard assessment rules, and I can’t formally demand that students engage in this project. The group composition this year is not the best one. There are 6 students who do not show much interest in studies. They miss classes and failed the winter exams. They are not likely to take up additional tasks. So, actually, we are talking about 17 active students, and 8 people out of 17 possible is a good result at the moment.

Managing the Project

I keep working with the students: I send them instructions how to use the site and consult them when they have technical difficulties. I also inform them of the new posts and encourage them to do what is suggested there.

Today I have sent them the rubrics, which, hopefully, will help them get more effectiveу with their posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment