Sunday, February 5, 2012

Week 4: Ode to Writing

Week 4 was an exciting period, as we came to discuss writing. Reading the suggested articles and viewing on-line resources, which were generously shared by my colleagues, allowed me to build a collection of tools for a variety of writing challenges. Although I actively participated in the discussion, I feel like summarizing my perspective on writing.

First, before we get down to practicalities, let’s pronounce what we mean by writing. To me, writing means immortality. Writing for the Internet means fame + immortality. It’s an unprecedented opportunity to leave something behind. It’s ...
No words. The above is enough. Let’s make a pause and just think about it.
....
If we look at writing from this angle, then what is our mission regarding teaching writing?  

First, we have to ring the bell and tell our students about that. We have to tell them, that with the advent of the Internet they received a chance to make their lives meaningful. We have to teach them to look at themselves as unique missionaries, who came to this world make something happen. And writing, better to say expressing themselves by means of a lasting media, is both ends and means.

If we look at writing as “ends”, i.e. something that will make a difference, than we have to teach our students to discover their unique mission, to develop their confidence and to empower them to say what has to be said.

Speaking about “means”, we have to equip them with (a) linguistic, (b) paralinguistic and (c) technical knowledge and skills, such as
(a)
grammar
vocabulary
spelling
syntax
macrosyntax (how texts are built)
stylistics
(b)
layout
colors
fonts
hypertext
graphics
animation
(c)
creating blogs/sites/forums
searchability (choice of keywords and frequency of words)
tagging
branding
domain names
promoting (e.g. through social networks)
administering
accessability
security

Obviously, this list is not complete. But we’d better work on it, because, if we do not know what we have to teach, how can we help our students get on the top, grab this new opportunity, which has just opened? I invite everyone to look at this list and add both what else is needed in the 21st century and what tools and resources are available to teach all these.

Having this list in mind, we can sort the numerous links we have gathered and then we will be able to see what is missing. I maintain that in the 21st century teaching writing without teaching promotion online is supplying gasoline without supplying cars. Isn’t it the reason it is so hard to motivate students develop their writing skills?

Motivation – that’s another issues I would ask my colleagues to share. What do you do to motivate your students to start writing?

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Val,
    I really like reading your blog! Your thoughts are so well organized that when I read them, everything becomes clear.
    I do agree that motivation is a great challenge.
    Good luck in motivating your students.
    Ludmila.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Val,

    I just liked the visor you used to look at writing.
    I share with you this angle on writing and I always encouraged my students specially senior student about to graduate to start building their trace behind by writing and publishing. I hear some students saying that they do write: some write poetry others keep a journal but they never publish anything. My argument, it is not enough to write, it is what you publish that count. I lead them to blogging or even using the Note features on Facebook to write professionally about a topic. And why not send their writing to the editor of a newspaper or magazine?

    My students here love to express their opinion, on almost EVERYTHING and are ready to discuss almost any subject, even if they are not exposed to it (which is the case most of the time). But when it comes to writing their opinion and putting it in black and white they shy away. I think writing is not only eternal, it is a proof of knowledge and logic. Two things students are afraid to be judge of lacking of.

    How to motivate them?? I guess proper mentoring and good building skills are essential until time to fly alone.

    Best regards,

    Hassan, Lebanon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val, you are a philosopher, as well!

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Val,
    What a remarkable description of writing! You reminded me of Shakespeare's Sonnet 18 when he refrained to compare his beloved to a summer's day since she gained immortal beauty upon being mentioned in his sonnet. To Shakespeare, writing poetry and art are immortal.I also liked what you added about writing through the Internet!
    Your students are lucky to have you as their teacher, Val!
    Best of wishes,
    Nihmat

    ReplyDelete