Sunday, February 12, 2012

Week Five: The Medium

So, we have reached the medium. This means, that the harder part of going up-hill is done, now we are working smoothly and soon we will start descending the hill, coping with more and more  tasks. The threat there will be to avoid going too fast, and the challenge - to be able to accomplish the project within the deadline.

Week 5 was highly enjoyable to me: we were doing project-based learning (PBL), a learning technology I have been using for a long time, and which I find highly effective. The generous gift from our dear teachers was WebQuests, which I highly appreciate. Once the course is finished, I will surely start contributing to that facility.

I also enjoyed wrting rubrics. The first rubric I created at the beginning of the week was consumption - I just found a ready-to-use rubric. Creating the second rubric
http://rubistar.4teachers.org/index.php?screen=ShowRubric&rubric_id=2154837&

was quite a challenge, and I am happy we were offered it, because it is an essential skill for a teacher. A good rubric  is a kind of a guide for students. I am looking for the feedback from our teachers and colleagues. I hope they will give me tips how to improve it.

As for the project, I finally make up my mind how I am going to accomplish it. Again, I am wondering what other solutions wil  be offered. 

I have already given feedback to some participants and look forward to further discussions.


6 comments:

  1. Valentina,
    You are right - we are going up, but not hill, MOUNTAIN!!! For me there will be no "descending the hill", I regard the course a leap to some higher level of teaching and thinking. Thanks to the person who created the course, it is divided into rather "workable" chunks, that is why, though the project part was meant to be the hardest part, it will be something quite easy for the person who works regularly on the project tasks. And you are right again - to accomplish the project within deadline might be really a challenge!!! Good luck to all of us!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yuliya. I am happy we feel the same. I look forward to your further posts.

      Delete
  2. Hi Val! Is Ruki. i should say that your blogs are indeed very creative.For me the going uphill task was navigating through technology - in other words I get a late start. Now the E course seems to be going smoother, as I only have to be stressed about assignments and time management. For me both PBL and Web Quests were new techniques. Even though i have been introducing projects in the teaching curriculum previously, now i am more aware of the correct procedures and methodology. I look forward to incorporating all these innovative teaching methods in my classes in Sri Lanka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruki, for your positive feedback. Never mind that you "gor a late start". The important thing is that you started off and I am sure you will find your exploration of the IT world exciting and rewarding.
      I hope we will keep in touch and talk about our discoveries and achievements.

      Best regards,

      Val

      Delete
  3. Hi Val,
    I like how you use metaphor and similes as you describe certain things!
    I definitely agree with you that we've reached the top of the hill- too many tasks to do and much knowledge to gain! Above all, we need to rest on top for a while to enjoy the view!
    I read most of your comments in the discussion and appreciate your active participation.
    Wishing you the best of luck.
    Nihmat, Lebanon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nihmat,

      Thank you for your positive feedback. I can also say that I like your ideas and enthusiasm too.

      I look forward to further exchange of ideas.

      Best regards,

      Valentina

      Delete