Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Bit of Culture Study

We are here to study technology. But as I mentioned earlier, I support the idea that technology is something BETWEEN people, and people are the ultimate interest which technology should help satisfy.
I hope you won't consider it violation of rules if I paste a couple of photos of my country here.
This winter was onlу month late. We all felt that it was wrong. Snow, due early in december, arrived only a few days ago, and now I can show you how it looks like (the picture was taken yesterday, Jan. 16, 2012):
Snowy Minsk 2012

Most of the participants live in hot climates. Have you ever seen icicles? This is how they look like (fresh from the outdoors ;-)
Icicles can be nice to look at, but  it's a hazard. Earlier or later they are going to fall down and can injure or even kill people. This is why they have to be removed as soon as possible, and there are services, who do that.
Hope you'll find this interesting (at the same time I have been practicing pasting images).
Have a nice day!

3 comments:

  1. Hello Val,
    I wasn't able to respond to your discussions on Nicenet as we started at the beginning of the course. I have to admit the fact that I almost have no free time to do so frequently. Today I decided to log into your blog and was impressed by the template and images. I still remember that you like photography, but these ones are amazing. I've never seen something like this before. Thanks for sharing them with us.
    Happy blogging to you as well.
    Regards,
    Nihmat,Lebanon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nihmat,
    I am happy you liked it. Although we live in this climate, each time we see newly fallen snow, our heart rejoices, and every time I rush to take a picture. Snow is associated with lots of outdoor activities, while thawing means slush on the roads and depression.
    I appreciate that while having a busy schedule you still dropped me a line. I think little by little we will all get to know each other well. I would like to know something more about your personality, your way of life and likes and dislikes when you have time. I think blogs are an appropriate place for that.

    Cheers,
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Val,
    I'm glad you posted a few pictures of Minsk! As you can see, I posted a non-academic picture on my blog today, too. My feeling is that even though we are here for professional reasons and this is a very academic course, we're still individuals with so many different facets to our lives. I enjoy seeing everyone as individuals with wonderful personalities. Thanks for sharing!


    Jodi, Oregon

    ReplyDelete