Friday, January 20, 2012

Week 2: Frustrations and Achievements


What a nice idea it was to offer us running a blog as a reflective learning tool! I’m so happy I have this private space, where I can write what I want without aligning my texts with the rules and common sense considerations. I do not mean that I mind rules – no, just on the contrary I view our rules as a guarantee of success and I do not think it would be right to abuse other people’s time with lengthy and sometimes off-topic comments I wish to make. Keeping them to myself is not the best way either, because (1) writing or speaking helps me to figure out better what is going on in my mind, and (2) my reflections can be useful to someone, who is experiencing similar problems and is looking for solutions. Thus, a reflective blog is just perfect for the purpose of reflective learning. 
So, our second week is coming to the end. It has been much more effective, I suppose. I was about to mess it up at the beginning, but I stopped early, and now the learning is running smoothly.

Frustrations of Week 2

At the end of Week 1 I made a resolution to prioritize my activities better. Still, on Monday I found myself writing for my blog and thinking about some technical problems that had been left unanswered. In particular, I was preoccupied with access issues. I fully understand people, who were happy just to start blogging. So was I after creating my first blog. Soon, however, my excitement faded away, because I discovered that I had been spending a lot of time on writing what I thought was useful, but nobody read it! There was no traffic at all!!! Only spammers promoting prostitutes in all cities of Russia. It took me weeks of daily cleaning before I learned how to keep that spam away. 
Now I do not concern myself much about the content or design – I know that I can deal with that. Technical issues, such as Google analytical tools, liking profiles on all other social networks, etc. are what interest me. Also security, eliminating robots and spies, and all other kind of malicious software… 
So, preoccupied with all this I went to the Discussions to start a thread about these issues.
I went there and … I discovered that while I was mentally stuck to blogs, other people were going forward: doing reading, exploring search engines, writing objectives, discussing due issues. That was the first frustration of the day.
The second one followed shortly. I started reading the posts, and I discovered that I could not understand what people are talking about. I wrote to Jodi, who, definitely, was sleeping at that time and asked her a lot of questions. 
And only then a very clever idea struck my mind: what is I just open the instructions and will start doing the assignment step by step, as suggested? And – surprise, surprise! – I found answers to all the questions I had asked Jodi. I still can’t understand why I didn’t do obvious things? It’s such a thoughtful, well-structured course, with clear, well-written instruction – why should I focus on what IS NOT given, instead of first taking what IS offered and asking my questions later, when appropriate?

Resolutions of Week 2

I was really angry with myself. I hope these two additional frustrations are enough to get me on the right track. I have outlined a schedule for myself. I will publish it here for two purposes:
1) let my tutors see what I am going to do and correct me, if I do something wrong;
2) manage my friends expectations in case I can’t respond timely to their posts and comments.

So, here we go:

Mondays: Reading other participants’ blogs
Tuesdays: Posting 1st weekly assignment earl
Wednesday: Reading for the 2nd weekly assignment
Thursday: Interacting at the Discussions
Friday: Posting my 2nd weekly assignment
Saturday: Bloggin
Sunday: reading ahead (the upcoming week)

In short, the way to avoid stress and frustrations is: reading ahead, early posting, checking other people’s writing after the deadline.

Dear friends, I understand how it feels when you write something, and people do not respond. I will surely respond to everyone who talks to me after I am done with the assignments. 

 Achievements of Week 2
I tried this new way on studying on Thursday, and I was very happy: I didn’t miss a single post, and I completed reading all the posts and writing replies in one run! What an improvement in comparison with Week1. when I spent hours and hours recurrently visiting blogs that were not updated. 

Thus, looking back at the slipping away week I can say that there is at least one thing I have learned – I learned to organize myself.

As for learning web-skills, our dear teachers Jodi and Sherie don’t need to worry: I have been practicing this play-camel way each time I had intensive training course, and it was always successful. Play-camel way of learning means that I do as much as time permits me, but I carefully save the remaining materials, activities, links and tasks, and go over them after the course is finished. This time too, I have carefully harvested all the links from the Week assignments and from my mates’ posts, and I will explore them at ease later.

Besides, I have explored JupiterGrades. What a nice tool ! I especially liked the calendar. With such a tool one does not need to keep a journal – the assignment will be reminded automatically. I very nice way to monitor the process.

This is all from me by now.

P.S.
By the way, I found a video about circles. One can watch it on
It’s on the right, under the title What are circles? If someone is also interested how to get traffic to the web-site, you are welcome to view it.

7 comments:

  1. Hello Val,

    I am very happy to read you great words about week two! If I had time, I would write more. You did the job! I agree with you that week two comes as a big surprise, work, read, comment, search, search, and search. It's rather beneficial to all and I thank you and everyone who makes this week challangeing and interesting. Wish you all the best.

    Salam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Val,
    I changed my timetable as well for the daily task as we now have a mid week submission for the discussion.. But one thing for sure is no matter how we adjust our timetable, we need to read materials/log online daily to ensure that we are on track. All the best for all of us.
    Nur

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Valentina,
    I read your post and I think I could no more agree regarding the frustration some of us may have encountered during,specially the start of the course, but as you have said being determined,seeking help whenever help is needed are successful ways to reach our ends.Another thing is that we should focus on what we CAN do rather than what we CAN'T do.I also I read your plan for study and I find it great and I'm going to try it my self.So thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Val,
    I commented on your last post some hours ago, and now I can see no comment of mine. In it I told you the way I find the updated blogs without losing much time. Did you delete my comment or should I express my ideas once again?
    Yuliya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear friends,
    Thank you for your comments. I am so happy we met and we understand each other very well. We are a nice team.

    Yulia, I got your first comment to my e-mail. Is it the one you mean?

    >Hi Val!
    >I think you are being a bit unfair when saying that no one is reading your posts!!! You have got 11
    >(!) comments on your first post, more than anyone else, I believe! You have some very nice ideas, you >are very systematic and academic!!! I loved your photos and interesting stories!!! The thing is that >your posts on Week 1 were published on Saturday and by that time people had already commented each >other's blogs, and then there was the beginning of Week 2...
    >I am sorry to hear you had to waste so much time on visiting other blogs - I keep the track of other >people's blogs quite easily - on my blog dashboard there is the 'Reading List'. I added the URLs of >the blogs I am following there, now without visiting anyone - that is from my dashboard page - I can >see all the blogs updated and read the beginning of each new post. If interested, I read the post more >closely with the help of the Google Reader - there is the link at the bottom right-hand corner of each >dashboard.
    >Good luck,
    >Yuliya

    No, for sure I didn't delete any single comment. I don't know why it didn't appear under the post.
    I remember once the same thing happened with Sherie's comment: it was forwarded to my e-mail, but it didn't appear on the blog comments. As I have already mentioned, I am not familiar with this blog tools, and, as the error is not regular, I don't know what to think.

    Responding to your post, Yulia, first I'd like to thank for your concern and advice. I tried to tackle the problem in another way: I joined all the blogs I could, but (1) not all of them were ready at that time and (2) I wasn't able to sign to some of them. Currently I am getting updates from some blogs, but I don't think all messages are getting through. I appreciate your advice and I'll try your system once I've done the remaining tasks.
    As for your initial statement
    >>I think you are being a bit unfair when saying that no one is reading your posts!!!
    I'd like to say that I meant a different thing. I meant that I know the feeling of a person, who does not get responses. It's not about my not getting enough feedback - I usually get my messages answered. I was trying to make my intentions transparent, to explain why I do my best to reposnd to as many posts as I cn. To know the feeling, it's enough to experience it once, and the bitter taste will remain in the memory. I think everyone had a chance to feel it.

    And it is not about our community - from the very beginning everyone manifested his/her wish to communicate, and the interaction has been very friendly and supportive so far. Even the silence of late birds can be understood. As teachers, we know that there are different learning styles, and everyone has the right to choose what is better for him/her. So, I do appreciate the comments I am getting, but also I don't mind silence of others. Actually, we are all limited in time, and we all choose how to spend our time. I think the interaction within our community will be getting better and better, and we will stay in touch after the course is finished.

    So, I think, I have just to apologize for something in my wording that made you interpret my post the way you did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's OK, Val, you should not apologize!!! I am glad you got my message this way or another!
    Yuliya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Val,
    I laughed and laughed when I read about you sending me the email and then deciding to read the directions and go through them step-by-step. That's great!! I am happy to hear that you find it very clear. I think it's clear, but then of course! I wrote it and sent it to you! :)

    I, too, am always concerned about the internet security issues. I actually try to be very protective of my online profiles. It's rather uncharacteristic of me to put things out here in "public" as much as I have to for this class.

    Jodi, Oregon

    ReplyDelete